Wednesday 11 August 2010

PHPmySQL - review of demo




Simple enough to use, but documentation is very poor: a description of each screen in the sequence. At a first look, it appeared as only the connection data can be saved: if you want to modify an existing set of pages, you have to specify your requirements from scratch again.

When you are finished, the "Generate" action copies a bunch of files to your chosen folder. Only "database.php" and "config.php" have the current date - all the others are much older, which confused me: I eventually twigged that I needed to open "index.php" to see the resulting application.

The result is competent enough, I am sure (demo does not allow use of foreign-key lookup), but very much the IT-person's data entry experience: not suitable for lay users, in my view: there didn't seem to be any option to give data fields user-friendly display names, for example.

No comments: